Monday, April 18, 2011

Your vs. You're

Okay, this is probably my biggest annoyance to date.

If your Mother Tongue is not English, I 100% understand your confusion. However, if you were born and raised and continue to speak English - GET IT TOGETHER!!!

Your is the second person possessive adjective, used to describe something as belonging to you. Your is nearly always followed by a noun.

Examples:

What is your name?
What is your problem?
What time does your watch say?
What was the name of your elementary school?


You're is the contraction of "you are" and is often followed by the present participle (verb form ending in -ing).

Examples:

How am I supposed to believe that you're telling me the truth?
So, you're going out tonight?
Congrats! You're now a married couple!
 You're really getting on my nerves.